We are delighted to have been awarded our Green Flag status.
Eco Newsletter – February 2023
Eco Newsletter – December 2022
What is Eco-Schools?
Eco-Schools is a seven step framework that thousands of schools, nurseries and colleges around the world use to introduce, manage and complete environmental actions in their organisation and local community. Uniquely, the Seven Steps aim to place young people at the heart of these environmental actions. This approach engages, motivates and empowers young people to care for our planet now and throughout their lifetimes.
The Seven Eco-Schools steps are designed to make environmental actions pupil-led. Working through each of the seven steps and achieving Eco-Schools Green Flag accreditation can be done in a single academic year. Several of the steps, for example Step 5: Informing and Involving, naturally overlap and this is encouraged – our process is designed to be holistic.
Below, is a brief summary of each step, but further details, examples, criteria and resources can be found on the Eco-Schools website.
- Step 1: Eco-Council, a group of students and adults responsible for all things Eco-Schools.
- Step 2: Environmental Review, a free-to-download resource which has been designed to review learning environments and provide inspiration to Eco-Committees.
- Step 3: Action Plan, a plan for environmental actions in your school, college or nursery.
- Step 4: Curriculum Links, including environmental issues in your school’s, college’s, or nursery’s learning.
- Step 5: Informing and Involving, including all pupils, staff members and your local community in Eco-Schools work.
- Step 6: Monitoring and Evaluation, measuring the impact of the projects in your Action Plan.
- Step 7: Eco-Code, a rallying call that everyone can get behind!
When a school, nursery or college has worked through each of the Seven Steps, they can then apply for Eco-Schools Green Flag accreditation. The Eco-Schools Green Flag is international and recognised by organisations such as UNESCO. It is a symbol of a school’s commitment to environmental education. You can find out more about the Eco-Schools Green Flag and other Eco-Schools awards by clicking here.